Saturday, August 06, 2011

i love lucy - happy 100th birthday, lucille ball!

Today is the 100th anniversary of Lucille Ball's birth. Like so many, I grew up watching I Love Lucy reruns and even her color shows, Here's Lucy and The Lucy Show. She was a clown and a beauty and a major mogul in Hollywood.



Lucy was a force to be reckoned with and there have been imitators, but no one really like her. She was funny doing solo schtick, but also a great team player, working with Vivian Vance and husband Desi Arnaz and William Frawley in the I Love Lucy shows, and later even with her kids on Here's Lucy.

She made everyone around her funny or funnier. I Love Lucy is a great time capsule of early television comedy, life in 1950s New York, and male and female relationships. Ricky may have swaggered and yelled at her in both English and Spanish, but Lucy always won the day. And I can visualize their midtown apartment better than I can my first New York apartment.


I love Lucy and my daughter does, too.

Happy Birthday, great lady of comedy.
Enhanced by Zemanta

0 comments:

Post a Comment